Feedback Strategies - Or Should I Say "Feedforward"...

The article I chose to read was "Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback" by Marshall Goldsmith. The idea of helping someone look towards to the future through suggestion as opposed to creating a negative environment by traditional feedback is interesting. He raises many intriguing points: especially when detailing most people relationship to receiving feedback and how negative most experiences can be. Even when the giver of feedback is as gentle/professional as possible when judging or critiquing, it can still be an uncomfortable situation all around. In particular, Goldsmith's explanation of this concept during his second labeled point displays the stark differences between feedback and feedforward: "Even constructively delivered feedback is often seen as negative as it necessarily involves a discussion of mistakes, shortfalls, and problems. Feedforward, on the other hand, is almost always seen as positive because it focuses on solutions - not problems" (Goldsmith). This article certainly provides more options in the proverbial tool belt when helping others in this class or in life. I believe I can incorporate some of these ideas in our future project feedback as well as analysis posts.

I go back and forth in my confidence to provide feedback to others. Honesty is one of my number one priorities along with professionalism. Providing proper respect when critiquing along with pointing out the good as well as what needs to be worked on is how I've usually went about providing feedback. I'm sure even in meticulously curating feedback comments the process was likely uncomfortable for the receiver as I know it was for me. Hopefully, incorporating ideas from 'Feedforward' will provide smoother sails during this semesters peer feedback sessions.

Comments

Popular Posts